February 07, 2014

Setting house rules

I have been living with my two youngest brothers for the last 6 months. Now, as the eldest and only daughter, and the only woman who lives with them, I practically am a young mother. My daily routines: I wake up, pray, cook for breakfast, and sometimes take them to school. After work, again I cook for dinner, tell them to take a shower, pray, read Quran, etc. Just imagine a working young woman with two children, that’s pretty much me. 

Oftentimes when I’m loaded with office work, I feel out of control. I don’t have the energy anymore for having to work full day (even sometimes until almost midnight), and still there are tons of homework at home. That’s when I become the wicked witch general. 

Brothers are laying in bed, reading, texting, watching, or whatever. Lazy time.
Me: Knock knock… Assalamu’alaikum…(No answer, cause they’re a bit too far from the front)
Me: (Opens the door) Stand up!Bro: What?Me: Both of you, stand up. Now. Put down whatever in your hands and stop doing what you’re doing.Bro: What are you trying to say???Me: Just do it. Stand up!Bro: (Finally stand up)
Me: Faiz (my second brother), clean your room and guest room. Faadhil (my youngest), wash the dishes and clean the kitchen.Bro: What’s wrong????Me: Nothing’s wrong. You never help your sister doing any house work, so this is the time. 

Since then, they have split house works and do their responsibility (if I’m home). Sometimes they forget, or intent on forgetting, but that’s my job to remind them. But lately, it happens way too often and I get tired of reminding them. 

So, that’s the long story. Yesterday, I concluded I need to talk to them about our house rules. I typed on my computer the list of the rules they (and I) have to obey, including the consequences. This is the first time I had a serious talk with them both. I wanted it to be serious and open, but what can you expect from brothers who fight every day and who find laughing is the only solution to everything. 

This, waswhat happened.


The rules are divided into several categories, such as pocket money, health, morning schedule, praying and reading Qur’an activities, study, etc. Well, the meeting lasted only 10-15 minutes. I’m hoping this will help me change them into a better person, who knows their even the smallest responsibilities and do them responsibly. 

No comments: