December 26, 2021

2190 days

 


My daughter just turned 6 last week. 
Six years. 
That's 2190 days and 52.560 hours of witnessing her growing up. 
Six years.
Six suddenly sounds like a big number.

When she's small, I used to carry her and she used to follow me everywhere. 
She was like an extension of me in this world. 
There are times I wonder where she got her attitude from. 
Then I realized...
Her thoughts and behavior mirrored mine and her father.

Then she started to grow her own color. 
I used to write down each new skill she acquired. 
The first time she ate all by herself. 
The first time she chose her toys.
When I saw how excited she got when making new friends.
The first time she told me she wanted to be a dancer. Then a writer. Then a doctor. Then an artist.
The first time she told me she had a crush on a boy in her class.
Those first times...
One after the other.
Until I couldn't keep track anymore.

In the last 6 years,
I learned how to work on my own feelings, too. Because it affected my action, and what I did, she would see and do.
In those 2190 days, 
I've changed my views on parenting a few times. From a tips-and-tricks to the long-term approach. It's been about finding what matters in the long run.
In those 52.560 hours,
Every day, we learn how to be good for her to grow up among. 

Happy birthday, my little one.


No comments: