September 15, 2021

Overwhelmingly Overwhelmed

When things start to feel overwhelming, I stop and take a step back. Sometimes one step. Sometimes more… up to a perfect distance from where I could view myself as an object rather than myself. 

Then I think about what I can control. What I can decide right now. For myself. What I can slow down, speed up, or pass over. 

One thing I ALWAYS get the chance to do regardless of the time and circumstances: taking a deep breath.

Deep down…

Feeling the air travel slowly and lightly from my nose, to my throat, to my lung, all the way down to my belly. Nice and full. Instead of merely breathing in my chest where I only feel half breathing.

What else can I control?

Hm…

I can wake up early when the world is quiet and cold. Or… I can sleep in, wake up late when my body needs to rest longer.

I can take a walk. Slow walk. Run. While listening to my favourite songs blasting through my earphones. Or… I can sit down and read on my bed, curled up in a thick blanket like a lazy bear.

I can close my eyes and feel the water touch my skin in my wudhu. I can pray longer, wish more good things for more people. 

I can control what I consume for my body. Some days I need a cup of strong coffee to jumpstart my day. Some days I want to slow down and make green tea. 

I can choose what I want to learn about. I can learn tons of materials in a day, or none for days. When I think about it, it’s a form of luxury, isn’t it? To be able to choose what you study and how you do it.

I can choose my words. I can choose who I want to talk to. What I want to talk about. 

Even though I can’t always choose my thoughts – they just flow like a river all day, I can try to control which thoughts I give my energy and time to.

What can you control today? For yourself?

Please know that it’s perfectly okay to be upset, sad and frustrated. 

We can still hold feelings of gratitude while holding the feelings of everything else.

No comments: